How to use Celeste?

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Apr 10 10:06:25 UTC 2000

Bijan Parsia <bparsia at email.unc.edu> wrote:
>> >  I just want to
> > read the mail that is already on my machine in /var/mail/ok.
>
> Now, I'm no UNIX guru, but the first question I'd have is is this a truely
> local directory? If so, and if your machine *is* receiving your mail
> directly, it seems to me that your choices are
> twofold:
>
> 	1) To use the "import into category" command. If you are going to
> do this regularly, I'd suggest reworking the "Fetch mail" command to do
> this automatically.
> 	2) To set up your box as a pop server. The easiest way to do this
> is to get someone else to do it ;) The next easiest way (where
> "easiest" ~= "easy") is to use, I believe, SendMail, or the equivalent.

In fact, it's quite comment for networks to have a POP server around
nowadays.  You ought to be able to access your mail files via POP as
well as via the filesystem.  Try telnetting to port 110 on the local
host and some other computers around, and see if you get anywhere.  And
if that doesn't work, ask around and see what other people at your
institution do when they want to read email from home--do any of them
use something like Eudora?

In order for Squeak to properly ready a Unix mail spool, it needs to do
some locking.  This just might be possible if you have OSProcess loaded,
but it certainly not possible in the stock image.

A Setup button doesn't seem all that critical, because Celeste will ask you
for the relevant information as it needs it.

Lex