[Unix] Cross-compiling Squeak

Bert Freudenberg bert at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
Tue Apr 11 15:37:25 UTC 2000

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Raab, Andreas wrote:

> I need to cross-compile Squeak for a different platform and I wonder if

This is described in the "Manual Configuration" section in
"info autoconf". I'm not sure if Ian's configure.in supports
cross-compiling.

> anyone has experience on how to configure Squeak using the automated
> configuration scripts.

What do you want to know? If you want to add an option you need to add a
"#undef NAME" to src/sqUnixConfig.h.in, and modify conf/configure.in to
assign a value - in the easiest case AC_DEFINE(NAME, "value").
configure.in is just a shell script so you can use all sh commands, plus
the predefined AC_* autoconf functions. See "info autoconf".

After modifying these run "make reconfig" which first generates the new
"configure" script (you need to have autoconf installed) and then runs it.

> Also, has anyone out there lately tried to setup
> Squeak manually (e.g., without using the configure script)?! What needs to
> be done/defined/run to make it work?!

You would have to do configure's job manually, which is to patch
sqUnixConfig.h (this sets up all #defines), create sqUnixVersion.c, and
the Makefile (which sets up directories and compiler options). You'll find
configure's patched files in the target directory. If you do not want to
use the Makefile ... you have to figure out what it does ;-)

  -Bert-