Bug auctions (was Re: Win Tims Money! a.k.a. find my sockets bug!)

David N. Smith (IBM) dnsmith at watson.ibm.com
Sat Apr 22 16:57:25 UTC 2000

At 13:45 -0700 4/21/00, Tim Rowledge wrote:
>...SNIP...
>
>Yup, that's it. Hacking the generated C to use unsigned char* instead of
>char * makes it work. I'll clean up the slang later after a drunken orgy
>of celebration. Thank you John, you get the prize, the adulation, the
>girls/boys/goats (delete as appropriate).
>
>Oh, the joy of C. :-(
>
>tim
>--
>Tim Rowledge, tim at sumeru.stanford.edu, http://sumeru.stanford.edu/tim
>To be, or not to be, those are the parameters.

It's been a while, but isn't (char*) one of those C platform dependencies where the compiler writer is allowed to do it the fastest way? And to force what you want you have to specify (unsigned char*) or (signed char*)? The problem is that it'll work just fine on one machine that just happens to do it by default the way you want...

I'm impressed with the teamwork that solved this so quickly.

I have a bug but can only pay $25.  You have a solution that took all day to get and you want $200. This sounds something like an auction with one bidder and possible multiple suppliers, except that the thing to be sold doesn't exist when the first bid is made. Has Tim just extended the range of possible auctions?

Dave
David N. Smith
IBM T J Watson Research Center
Hawthorne, NY