[Newbie] Dolphin Smalltalk Tutorial

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Mon Apr 17 18:05:17 UTC 2000

"Richard A. O'Keefe" <ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz> responded:
>I've just thrown together a simple change which appears to do the right thing.
>I would greatly value comments on the style of this change.
	<followed by some code>

One of the first tools any newbie should learn is the methodFinder and/or its cmd-key abbreviation cmd-shift-w.  If you had typed 'reverse' into the methodFinder or selected that word and used the cmd-key abbreviation, you would have discovered that Squeak already includes this functionality with the selector named 'reversed', as well as a few useful variants such as reverseDo:.

These tools can save people from asking needless questions (though it's nice to hear from newbies), from reading extra mail (although the Squeak mail is fun to read), and from writing code that has been written before (though it is always fun to write new code).

Just kidding about the attitude, but I am serious about using the mechanisms available in Squeak to answer questions.  Our documentation may be weak, but we bust our buns to build good tools.

	- Dan