To make String and Symbol ANSI compliant regarding #=

Stephan Rudlof sr at evolgo.de
Sun Apr 16 23:10:36 UTC 2000

"Andrew C. Greenberg" wrote:

> >- removing #= from String (semantically, means it has to be the same
> >result as SequenceableCollection>>=).
>
> Have you benchmarked this one?

No, but benchmarks reagarding the removal or change of Symbol>>=
; see earlier mails of mine.
BTW: It's a damned big thread now!

> String>>#= calls a primitive to
> compare string elements.  SequencableCollection loops through the
> interpreter cycle.  I'll bet the costs are substantial for plain
> string-string comparisons.

I'll bet the same!

> I only briefly scanned the thread, noting benchmarks considering the
> elimination of Symbol>>#.

Ah, I think you mean the Symbol>>= here, which I mentioned above.

>  Here, the impact is on ordinary
> string-string comparisons, which can be significant for large strings.

See there.

> Please forgive if I am rehashing old news. . .

It is very, very difficult to be always up-to-date with (at?) this ML.
And currently I have some time for reading many of these interesting
mails...

Greetings,

Stephan

P.S.: Merging TestCodeGenerator/TestInterpreterPlugin with
PluggableCodeGenerator/InterpreterPlugin or changing 'Test' to 'Ext' or
'Enh' at least would be nice (I have used the 'Test...' classes heavily
for the LargeIntegers plugin and some not official stuff like
#remapOop:in:, too (you know)).

--
Stephan Rudlof (sr at evolgo.de)