Squeak Web applications

Robert Withers withers at vnet.net
Wed Apr 12 14:50:48 UTC 2000

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Robert Withers wrote:
>
> > Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> > >
> > > This is currently not working ... The image tries to read the .sts file
> > > that Netscape downloaded (the document file). But Netscape placed that
> > > file in it's own cache directory, and Squeak is not allowed to read from
> > > there ... which means Squeak's File Sandbox works :-)
> >
> > Ok, so you are saying that Squeak runs in its own process here and
>
> Exactly. The plugin just executes the VM. It tells it in which window to
> open Squeak. You can actually run Squeak in any X window if you give it
> the "-browserWindow id" option, just find the window id with xwininfo ;-)

Bert,

That's neat.  So you can steal somebody's window?! :)  This brings a
completely different thought to mind.  What would it take to connect a
squeak morph window to a OS window resource and thus have native windows
(not native widgets mind you)?  I imagine the OS event queue would have
to demux the events to the right handlers, but since we have a
EventModel in place...   St/X does a neat thing by having a device ivar
in the base window class.  This way he can open a window on a separate
XWindow server, as long as xhost is on at the remote server.  It's
really neat.

cheers,
-Rob