Squeak+GTK

Ich ich at driftwood.darktech.org
Mon Apr 24 10:09:10 UTC 2000

Stefan Matthias Aust wrote:

> At 13:06 24.04.00 +1000, you wrote:
> >So what I wanted to know is if anyone out there has attempted making GTK
> >primitives for Squeak?
>
> AFAIK, nobody is working on GTK widgets for Squeak at the moment.  You're
> right that using plugins and named primitives, one could create something
> similar to gtk-- (C++ bindings for GTK) or Python/GTK+.
>
> I'd even agree that this would be a nice alternative - although I wouldn't
> go so far and try to unify Squeak's widgets and gtk widgets or convert all
> tools to that new set.  But for Gnome-style application, this would be
> really nice I think.
>
> Perhaps your question will start such a Squeak/GTK or Gsqueak project?

Well my precise reason for writing to the news group about the topic was to
(a) find out if anyone else had any thoughts on the matter
(b) find out if anyone has done any work already that could be picked up
(c) find out who has any interest towards beginning a project like this?
(d) decide whether I can commit enough time to trying to do it.

So, please hands up anyone that could contribute anything at all (not even
long
term, just the drop of an idea here or there)... I still have a lot of
reading to do
to get this off the ground. I can build my own Squeak primitives now and I am

familiar with two OO GTK implementations (gxk and gtk--) but I still need
to see how others have done it and begin my own planning.
In the ST world I'm still just a baby, but I'm learning quickly (or so
I think) and
I know I'm likely to step on a few feet.

Michael Lucas-Smith