help needed - thanks & clarification

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Sun Apr 30 19:36:06 UTC 2000

>Thanks for all the replies and for pointing me to the InterpreterSimulator. I haven't figured it out yet, but won't leave it in peace until I squeeze every drop out of it...
>
>[I should have mentionned from the outset that none of the precious data is in the change file, since none of it involves code. It's all notes and texts (much like if you had data in workspaces or bookmorphs).]
>
>thanks again and wish me luck!

Michal -

Given that you are looking for notes other than in code, they will almost all be instances of Text, of which there are relatively few, otherwise, in the image.  This will be a much better basis for the enumeration than all instances of String.  Let us know if you get exasperated.

It is unfortunate that this happened.  Of course there are many ways that it could have been prevented, but the absoluteness of the failure is out of the ordinary.  I do not think it would be all that hard to allow Squeak to fail from the save primitive, and keep running.  This would at least afford a chance to delete other files from Squeak and try again.  Hopefully we can improve things so that this will not happen again in the future.

	- Dan