Language Table

Stephen T. Pope stp at create.ucsb.edu
Thu Apr 13 16:27:38 UTC 2000

The IFPUG (Int'l function points users group) collects this kind
of table every few years based on the collected experience of
their members. This means that these numbers are derived from real
projects, rather than religion, and also that they reflect system,
environment, and library issues in addition to language issues.
>From the table I have (reproduced in the ParcPlace OO Methodology
workshop notes rev. 4.3 [1994] part 4, p. 31) here are a few other numbers:

Language		Level		LOC per FP
Assembly		1			320
C			2.5			128
C++			12			27
Smalltalk		15			21	-- this seems to have changed over time
SQL			25			13

Interesting that Java seems to be exactly half as "high-level" as
C++ !

stp

--

stp