UI Opinions

Doug Way dway at mat.net
Thu Apr 27 16:38:14 UTC 2000

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, Henrik Gedenryd wrote:

> Jim Benson wrote:
>
> > Before you minimize a
> > window,  think about where you expect the icon to show up, and remember it.
> >
> > Some possible answers folks have given:
> >
> > 1. Adhere to the current RealEstateAgent strategy.
> > 2. Collapse to the center of the window.
> > 3. Attach to the cursor.
> > 4. Center on the minimize box.
> > 5. Collapse to a 'MorphDock' at the bottom of the display.
>
> Firstly, for the reason that icons tend to get lost under other windows,
> it's generally a good idea to keep them along the sides.

Another important reason to go with #5 is that a dock represents a region
totally separate from the windowing area.  In other words, you don't have
to worry about your icons being buried under other windows, and having to
do yet more window manipulation to find a minimized icon, etc.

This is the most important benefit of using a dock, IMHO.  Fortunately, it
sounds like everyone more or less likes option #5, in one form or another.
(The Fitt's Law stuff is good, too, though... having the dock along an
edge for fast mouse access.)

> Jim, it's nice to see another Squeaker with an interest in usability--it's
> less common than I had expected since there is at least some implicit aim of
> Squeak being end-user oriented.

Hey, I'm definitely interested in usability, too... I'm mostly a
UI-developer/usability-guy by profession.  There are a few of us out here.
:-)

- Doug Way
  EAI/Transom Technologies, Ann Arbor, MI
  http://www.transom.com