[BUG] .changes file position overflowing at 16M size

Henrik Gedenryd Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se
Sun Apr 16 08:19:46 UTC 2000

Michael Rueger wrote:

> Yeah, we were bitten by that too :-(
> Workarounds:
> - when testing stuff producing large amounts of changes consider rolling
> back to the original changes file every time before you start the image.
> Don't forget to file out the changes you want to keep before you do
> that.
> - run a condense changes in between (at least in the test image)
> - build a test image with condensed sources, so you start with an empty
> changes file. That gives you plenty of room for producing changes

Thanks Michael,

Your tips do the work, but I think this also warrants some general remedy.
16M is a little too close for comfort, since for instance now the changes
file comes at 9.4M out of the box. Try a goodie from the list now and then,
and you'll be there soon.

One fix would be to go to say six (or more) instead of four bytes in those
methods for which four are not enough. I guess there must be a free value
for the last trailer byte to do such a thing. However I don't know enough
about the method format et al. to do such a thing properly. Can someone
educate me about that trailer byte etc.?

Henrik