Drag'n'Drop

Stephan Rudlof sr at evolgo.de
Sat Apr 22 19:25:42 UTC 2000

Michael,

Michael Rueger wrote:

> Stephan Rudlof wrote:
> > Beside my efforts it is interesting to think of integrating code from
> > other persons instead of further improving the standard tools. E.g.
> > there is a BobsBrowser.
>
> I started working on some drag'n'drop support for a tool I'm developing
> and I made use of both Bob's and your code and the morphic
> implementation of d'n'd.
> As things go all three are incompatible though.

:-(

BTW: For me it started as an exercise to become familiar with GUI
programming in Morphic, now I'm *really* trying to improve the standard
tools...

> > The problem IMHO here is the frequent use of the words 'possibly' and
> > 'probably'... ;-))
>
> OK, let's make it definitely ;-)

I have just missed d&d in standard Squeak.

> I started to integrate the two (well, really  three) d'n'd efforts and
> already cleaned up some code in morphic.

This sounds interesting.
What have you cleaned or planned to change in morphic?

> Oh, and the bad news is that
> I'll only be doing this for morphic.

Me, too. It is quiet a lot work to do it for *one* GUI. But if we'd have
a layered more abstract view onto d&d, it could be possible to write
most code for standard widgets once... (just a dream ;-) )
But I think its natural to concentrate on and to improve to *one* GUI.
Then the results should be better as if already forced to be compatible
till the end...

> Is anybody else working on a more generalized d'n'd?

Good question!

For me I have to say: I don't know, if I'm working on a more generalized
d&d!

It works automatically in my mind, but at the moment there are just too
many open questions for me and I'm feeling not far away enough from a
newbie regarding these topic (for some more thoughts see other mails of
mine).

Greetings,

Stephan

P.S.: There are other mails with subject
	Re: [ENH] BrowserWithDragAndDrop
.

--
Stephan Rudlof (sr at evolgo.de)