FW: [Qsoul] FW: Bug in class message behaviour

Johan Fabry johan.fabry at vub.ac.be
Tue Aug 29 11:59:02 UTC 2000

Jon Hylands wrote:

> > I think there is a distinction to be made:
> > - some proxies like ObjectOut becomes their real objects. They inherit ProtoObject directly and will turn into their real object when debugged. (Probably before that).
> > - others like a decorator will remain a distinct object and never become what they proxy. These would be very difficult to debug unless they handled the debugger messages themselves so should inherit DebuggableProtoObject.
>
> My feeling is that proxies should be as transparent as much as they
> can be. If you're debugging proxies, and it shouldn't happen very
> often, you can afford to do a little nastiness.
>
> You don't want to have to go through hoops to debug your application,
> which is hopefully where most of the bugs are.

I think I agree with Jon here. I doubt that I would subclass
DebuggableProtoObject for use in Remote Message Passing, as my proxies
do need to be completely transparent.

Hmmm ... remote debugging through RMP ... sounds yummy.

"You are more than the sum       Johan Fabry - Johan.Fabry at vub.ac.be
 of what you consume.            Vrije Universiteit Brussel
 Desire is not an occupation."   Programming Technology Lab, Room 10F709
  -- KMFDM                       Pleinlaan 2, 1050 Brussels, Belgium