MenuManager/MenuSpecification

Henrik Gedenryd Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se
Thu Aug 3 22:55:41 UTC 2000

Eric,

I've recently done a service provider registry-style mechanism which means
that you don't have to edit methods in some crucial places each time you add
functionality somewhere else, like a new file parser, a text editing
command, a world menu/morph menu addition, and so on. A VRML parser, say,
sends FileList class a message that it provides file reading services, so
that FileLists will ask it to supply the services it has.

I think this is necessary because now some "grand central station" methods
get modified all the time so I have to fix them after every update. It also
moves methods to where they belong (ie. code for opening a 3d file --> now
in a 3d class--what a concept!). This will also help modularization & image
shrinking a lot, by removing cross references from eg. FileList to every odd
class in the system.

The one problem remaining is how to control what the menu will look like
(ie. ordering among lines). But perhaps we can fix this later, as we learn
what we need and come up with something.

I'll test it myself for a couple of days and then put it out there.

Henrik