slimming the image

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Tue Aug 1 03:46:33 UTC 2000

I've just tripped over a quite good example of the problems we face in
using a 'remove what you don't want' approach. It illustrates how tricky
it can be to keep everything up to date.

I want to make a small image with Morphic left in (and lots of other
stuff in or out, but irrelevant, I think) so I've been looking at
various discard* methods and trying them out. This afternoon I doit'd
the chunk of code in majorShrink that dumps all the changes (because I
was trying to automatically get rid of projects, there were some still
sitting around because some change records were holding on to methods
with projects mumble, mumble) and accidentally included the phrase
"ScriptingSystem _ nil"
Boom. Dead system.
Because ScriptingSystem, the global instance of StandardScriptingSystem,
has a FormDictionary which is where the icon Form for
SystemWindow>addMenuControl is found. No ScriptingSystem, no icon, no
understand message, raise exception, try to open notiifer which...
you guessed it, wants the same icon!

If you remove Morphic, IconicButton goes and so the problem probably
won't occur.

Is the FormDictionary class var of StandardScriptingSystem really the
best place for this kind of Form? Maybe the #labelGraphic: code should
be able to cope with nil.

Just another little pebble in the path of progress.

tim

"How many Slavers does it take to change a lightbulb?" "Dunno. How susceptible are lightbulbs to telepathy?"