reply mangling (was: Chapter!)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at mail.merlintec.com
Fri Aug 4 20:07:54 UTC 2000

On Fri, 04 Aug 2000, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
> Just another guy who thinks that reply-to shouldn't be mangled,

I think this list doesn't mangle the reply-to field, but adds it if it
was missing in the original email. This is actually the worst of both
worlds: I have both sent private mail to the whole list (the original
author didn't have a reply-to header so the list added one) and sent
email meant for the whole list to just the original author (who did
have a reply-to originally). I normally notice the latter mistake when
I look at my "sent" folder and note that the name displayed isn't
"squeak at cs.uiuc.edu" as I had expected.

Just to test this: I simply pressed "reply" and can see that the
message was automatically addressed to the list, not to Randal. Now I
will add a reply-to field before sending this... done. Now anyone just
pressing reply show send an email just to me instead of the list.

-- Jecel