"official" VMs

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Fri Aug 18 21:04:24 UTC 2000

Stephan,

please calm down. It helps noone to shout that loud.

> I'm somewhat frustrated, because some efforts of mine - and others, of
> course, but I'm speaking for myself here - seem to be superfluous now.

Not at all. As Ian wrote, he incorporated most (if not even all)
enhancements made since 2.7 at SourceForge. That stuff isn't lost. It just
looks very different since the directory structure differs so much.

> It's not so frustrating, that I've wasted some time - this happens
> often -, but it's frustrating that I think, it had been avoidable if
> there had been more communication between you and the people at the
> Squeak ML (including me).

That's partly true. The long periods of silence from Ian weren't
satisfying for the rest of us. You were the only one who had enough time
to actually get SF going after I set it up, and this is something we owe
you.

Speaking for myself, I wasn't satisfied by the SF directory structure, but
I didn't have the time to change it (and do the config/make stuff, too),
so someone else had to overhaul it - and that someone happened to be Ian.
It's much simpler now, and very well suited to add more platforms.

It would have been nice if Ian had announced what he's going to do at the
mailing list, though.

> [...]
> Without looking at your result: The directory structure evolved and I've
> done my best to get a first start in direction of a better structure. For
> Linux configure worked, but sometimes it was necessary to touch
> 'configure.in'.

You should look at Ian's result first. It *is* much better than what
currently is at SF.

> Without having a very good directory structure, it makes no sense to unify.
> -> there were some discussions about this point on the ML.

Right. It was mentioned that separating generated files from
platform-specific files would be a good idea. It's just that noone did it.

> What should this mean? All discussions before are not serious and now
> there is coming your genious solution?
>
> Now there is *your* solution: Made from a 'singleton' in the desert without
> saying:
> 	Hey people, don't start at SF, I have a better way to go!

Now that's too much. Please don't start personal flame wars on this
mailing list. We need to talk about this, but flaming doesn't help. It
happened a few times now that larger efforts of list members were
overruled by "those in charge", and I can understand your frustration.
But, the result most of the time was not inferior to what was proposed.

If you look at Ian's stuff as a continuation (and improvement) of what we
did at SF, and we build on that now, we'll get some great stuff done in
the future.

Cheers to all, and have a nice weekend!

-- Bert