Need Help to understand

Raymond Asselin raymondasselin at sympatico.ca
Sat Aug 19 17:20:28 UTC 2000

<raymondasselin at sympatico.ca>
>  wrote:
snip...
>  >Today I saw that again my image is very big.
>  >
>  >Using the refactory browser I checkek for all instances of one of

    it was allSubInstances of one classe not all instances (may be the
    difference is sans importance..)  :)

>  >my classes where my UIWindowMorphs are define. The result is
>  >116 instances...!!!! How that...Where are they? How that they
>  >are not garbagge collect when you throw tem away with the close
>  >box?

>  >My trash is empty I checked it.  I'm in the blackout...
>
>  Raymond,
>
>  My first guess would be to inspect DependentsFields. Certain
dependency
>  relationships are maintained in a global dictionary by that name and
need to be
>  explicitly released when no longer valid. The method to do that is
>  #removeDependent: which should balance the send of
#addDependent: which created
>  the realtionship. Some classes, like Model and MorphicModel
maintain these
>  relationships in a more local manner and generally do not cause this
problem.

>  Cheers,
>  Bob

Bob,

as I'm new to Smalltalk (and I'm not a programmer, but love
Smalltalk) I have to digest what you send me...I'm not mastering the
Dependents mecanisms yet.   But for now i evaluated 'Smalltalk
reclaimDependents' which I found looking for 'dependents' in the
Method Finder, and my image shranked from 20 Meg to 9.5 Meg. so
that is nice.  But I don't yet understand the source of the problem so
may be the problem will come back.

I readed in a book I have, "Inside Smalltalk, volume II", that this
mecanism is intended <principalement> for MVC. AFAIK I used
exclusively Morphic...so ???

An unrelated question: where can I find information about
"Undeclared", and what we have to do when we saw that message in a
Transcript ? I allready know that it is a Global variable in the
Smalltalk dictionnary. But who put something there, when, why, how
and...do we have something to do with it...

 'Smalltalk at:#Undeclared'  give me:
a Dictionary(#IntegerKeyDictionary->nil #IntegerSet->nil
#NbCibles->nil #PluggableFileListMorph->nil #PutNewClassHere->nil
#Screen->nil #UsingIsolation->nil #appl->nil #classArray->nil
#copy->nil #dict->an IdentityDictionary() #draggedMorph->nil
#fillColor2->nil #gradientDirection->nil #mainValue->nil
#methodDictArray->nil #openToDragNDrop->nil #orgArray->nil
#transferType->nil )

Merci beaucoup for your help