I can't get AppleScript to run

David N. Smith (IBM) dnsmith at watson.ibm.com
Sun Aug 13 18:54:44 UTC 2000

At 16:07 -0400 8/12/00, Andrew C. Greenberg wrote:
>At 3:21 PM -0400 8/12/00, David N. Smith \(IBM wrote:
>>Well, I'm probably missing something obvious, but I can't get Applescript scripts to run.   ...SNIP...
>
>...SNIP...
>You might have some memory issues, despite (or perhaps because) of the allocation of 50M to Squeak.  On MacOS, calling plugins sometimes requires use of non-object application memory, and the minimum slosh allocated by the VM may not be sufficient.  This can be increased by using,
>
>	Smalltalk extraVMMemory: numberBytesInAdditionToSlosh
>
>saving the image and restarting the machine, careful to assure there is enough space for the application memory as well as the object memory space in the Finder allocation.
>
>...SNIP...

Andrew & John:

It was indeed the memory problem! Thanks!

I increased numberBytesInAdditionToSlosh to 500,000 and it worked fine. I backed down to 50,000 and it worked fine. I had failed to check what it had been, but a backup copy of a couple of weeks ago answered zero to 'Smalltalk extraVMMemory' (and now it answers 50000).

John suggests that it is supposed to be 500,000. Is it possible that the number I'm seeing is in addition to this builtin 500000, John? If so, why does Applescript take so much memory?

Dave
David N. Smith
IBM T J Watson Research Center
Hawthorne, NY