I can't get AppleScript to run

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sun Aug 13 19:11:32 UTC 2000

on 8/13/00 11:54 AM, David N. Smith (IBM) at dnsmith at watson.ibm.com wrote:

> Andrew & John:
>
> It was indeed the memory problem! Thanks!
>
> I increased numberBytesInAdditionToSlosh to 500,000 and it worked fine. I
> backed down to 50,000 and it worked fine. I had failed to check what it had
> been, but a backup copy of a couple of weeks ago answered zero to 'Smalltalk
> extraVMMemory' (and now it answers 50000).
>
> John suggests that it is supposed to be 500,000. Is it possible that the
> number I'm seeing is in addition to this builtin 500000, John? If so, why does
> Applescript take so much memory?
>
> Dave
> _______________________________
> David N. Smith
> IBM T J Watson Research Center
> Hawthorne, NY
> _______________________________
> Any opinions or recommendations
> herein are those of the author
> and not of his employer.

The mac VM looks at how much memory is available, then backs off by 500,000.
Then it asks the squeakVMReader to load Squeak. The Reader reads the header
bytes, picks up the numberBytesInAdditionToSlosh and factors that into it's
calculations before allocating the chunk of memory that Squeak lives in.

I'll look into how much AppleScript needs later today.

Custom Macintosh programming & various Smalltalk dialects
PGP Key: DSS/Diff/46FC3BE6
Fingerprint=B22F 7D67 92B7 5D52 72D7  E94A EE69 2D21 46FC 3BE6