"official" VMs

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Thu Aug 24 14:47:10 UTC 2000

Ian Piumarta wrote:

> > From: Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu>
> >
> > > Unless there is a platform somewhere on which it is impossible to
> > > dlsym() into the executable itself?
> > Acorn. Any no-OS machine. EPOC, I think.
>
> Couldn't we use dlpreopen (which is handled entirely automatically by libtool)
> to "fake" a working dlopen() on these machines?

At least on the platforms with dynamic libraries, we could make a very small
squeak executable (that has no routines that would need to be called after
startup),
and put Squeak itself into a big dynamic library. The little executable could
build the lookup tables as needed, then start the real squeak from the library.

Then we could look up everything in libraries, and not concern ourselves with
the distinction between the main executable and libraries.

Of course, this breaks on no-OS platforms.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA
email:     ned at bike-nomad.com