[ICFP: Callisto Diamond] The task! Ray-tracer with GML descriptions and PPM output

Raab, Andreas Andreas.Raab at disney.com
Sun Aug 27 00:22:39 UTC 2000

Ned wrote:

> From the FAQ:

What FAQ have you been looking at?! The one I found didn't mention the
issue... But anyways

> Q:  What pre-existing libraries are we allowed to use?
>
> A:  Anything that's legal.  That is, you shouldn't ship us
> any code that you for which you do not have a legal license.

They can't mean that seriously (or perhaps they'll have to re-evaluate after
this contest). Why?! Well, there's PovRay (www.povray.org) a really good
freeware raytracer. If one would spend a little time of actually
transforming the input to PovRay (which is probably not that hard) you'd
blast anyone away. While this might spoil the fun there is certainly a point
in doing that and make practical reuse an issue here ;-)

  - Andreas