Keyboard focus to halos - Edit the World

Mats Nygren nygren at sics.se
Sun Aug 20 13:34:50 UTC 2000

Hi,

Consider giving (under suitable circumstances) keyboard focus to halos.
Move the halo to other morps with arrows and Home/End keys. Copy the
current morph with some suitable key, delete it with the delete key, switch
place between two morphs with some key, etc. In this way the whole
Morphic world begins to feel like an editor. If this is developed "traditional"
editors will become obsolete. Do everything with halos.

This amounts to a fair amount of work. In fact the whole Squeak
development system will be rewritten somewhat. But the result will be
uniform, elegant and object oriented. Customized editors will still be possible
to make, they will be particular kinds of halos with special
functionality.

A cute detail: At a web-link morph downarrow (get to submorph) will
fetch that page and create a new page and get to the first submorph
as requested. This makes netaccess seem to be a part of the morphic world.

This connects well with the history function as is appearing from SqC now.

The corresponding thing to keyboard-macros can be seemlessly integrated
with scripting in a nifty way. There is a difficult question hidden here,
what can be repeated and what can be undone is inherently in conflict.
Mark van Gulik and I discussed this a little in "CLOS, MOP, AOP, SOP". A simple
example "delete the previous character" is general and can be usefully put
into macros but it is not undoable. In contrast "delete the previous '='" is not
particularly general but it is undoable. I have a potential essay/article
pending on this and will be interested in this aspect of the current
development process. If we can get this together that will be the best
development system ever built, so I believe.

For this to work something similar to "Virtual Morphs" will be necessary.

/Mats