Status of the official releases

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Tue Aug 8 16:37:37 UTC 2000

Mark Guzdial <guzdial at cc.gatech.edu> wrote...
>I'm trying to catch up after a couple of trips, too, and I'm also
>confused.

I'm trying to catch up after a couple of trips, too, and even I was confused for a while there.  But now things seem to be fitting into place again...

>It seems that 2.8 is in a "beta" state (i.e., not yet
>considered completed, but only bug fixes going into it) and 2.9 is
>the current "alpha" (i.e., test pilots can get into the update
>stream).
>
>Is this correct?

Almost.  2.8 is really in gamma, to use Craig's terminology -- merely waiting for me to "button it up" by condensing changes, etc.  I will do that this week so that we can at least advance the formal release.  We had planned to make a number of changes in the form of the image, but have since decided to slide this to 2.9 in which the new approach will be much more appropriate.

	- Dan