FW: [Qsoul] FW: Bug in class message behaviour

Mats Nygren nygren at sics.se
Mon Aug 28 19:14:48 UTC 2000

Johan Fabry <johan.fabry at vub.ac.be> wrote:

> > ProtoObject "minimal amount of messages"
> >   Debuggable(Proto)Object "messages used by debugger (instVarAt: ..) but nothing else"
> >     Object
>
> I dont think I get the point here... What would be the behaviour of the
> debugger for ProtoObject subclasses? Forward everything? So when you
> need to debug the proxy, you would need to change its class?

The point is that if a proxy really needs to be without #instVarAt: then
it can inherit ProtoObject and will be difficult to debug. But in
many cases, proxies can inherit DebuggableProtoObject instead which
implement, by definition, the messages sent by the debugger but nothing
else, and that should work.

I think there is a distinction to be made:
- some proxies like ObjectOut becomes their real objects. They inherit ProtoObject directly and will turn into their real object when debugged. (Probably before that).
- others like a decorator will remain a distinct object and never become what they proxy. These would be very difficult to debug unless they handled the debugger messages themselves so should inherit DebuggableProtoObject.

So it seems to me, but I'm rather new to these kinds of questions.

/Mats