Help with Squeak presentation to DoD!

Treis, Ken KTreis at keyww.com
Wed Aug 30 00:31:39 UTC 2000

jchludzinski at worldkey.net wrote:

> I'm going to be giving a presentation to some DoD folks about the
> wonders of Squeak and why it ought to be seriously consider as a
> candidate for development work (for a wargaming project).  I'm
> currently using it for the prototype, so naturally the question
> arose: Should we continue to use Squeak (Smalltalk in general vs.
> C++, Java, etc. [the usual suspects])?

To me, one of the most compelling reasons for choosing Smalltalk is that
you can change it.   As much as possible, the major "features" of the
language are themselves defined in the language.  The class library,
code tools, debugger, and windowing system are all written in
Smalltalk.  Even the syntax of the language is defined in Smalltalk.  If
you don't like it, or if it doesn't suit your project, you can change
it.  Use your tools to change your tools.

Squeak takes this capability to another level by defining the VM in
Smalltalk.  That means that even the lowest levels can be changed to
suit your needs, if necessary.  The "open-source" nature of the VM has
helped it has also helped make Squeak run on so many different platforms
so seamlessly.

> I would GREATLY appreciate any input!  In addition, I've noticed
> but haven't used either the GUI (Morphic) features or any support
> for Web/Internet development.  Could someone please address these.

That's too bad, because it might make a really fun Morphic app.  Drag
this plane onto that tank and combat ensues.  DnD for the DoD.  :)  You
might also be able to make use of the "stepping" in Morphic for your
event time.  Each unit moves a certain distance, adjusts course, etc.
when stepped.  It's also fairly easy for morphs in a world to figure out
if they're near (or in contact with) some other morph -- a demo called
"Alan's Fanciful Gears" (or something similar, sorry Alan) makes use of
these capabilities -- and have them take action because of that.

--
Ken Treis / Software Engineer
Fravenic Skreiggser Software Collective
ktreis at keyww.com
---
"There is something fascinating about science.  One gets such wholesale
returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact."
                -- Mark Twain