[ENH][BUG] Macintosh Browser Full Screen support + more

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Aug 10 05:09:08 UTC 2000

on 8/4/00 1:09 PM, Karl Ramberg at karl.ramberg at chello.se wrote:

> Q: Can one bundle squeak as 'fat' app with mac os x ala the image, changes, vm
> etc. in one chunk ?

Sure Squeak.app looks like an application to the Mac OS-X finder, but under
the covers it's a directory containing all sorts of stuff. In fact one of
the bugs I've lately uncovered is that when you launch Squeak.app which is
made in the MacOSX development environment it looks in the same directory
which it runs the executable, not the directory that contains the Squeak.app
directory. For example the path to the executable is really.

CarbonSqueak.app:Contents:MacOS:

If you stick the image and changes file in this directory then they are
hidden as part of the application and can be moved about as one chunk using
the Mac OS-X finder. Other tools are needed to peer inside the .app folder
and adjusts things.

For more Mac OS-X review material see
http://arstechnica.com/reviews/2q00/macos-qna/macos-x-qa-1.html

As I mentioned earlier the current developer version of  Mac OS-X comes with
a development environment that is layered on top of the Gnu tools. You can
take the most current macintosh/carbonized source and build a Mac OS-X
specific application, using the Carbon Macintosh interfaces, baring issues
with sound and serial I/O support.

Will this ship with the commerical version? Good question. It means of
course one can build applications without having to buy CodeWarrior, and it
gives you access to a fairly recent version of Gnu gcc

PS Under the current Apple NDA I can't disclose any benchmarks so don't
ask...

Oh and your note triggered another thought.

Package support under OS 9.
See http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1188.html

Custom Macintosh programming & various Smalltalk dialects
PGP Key: DSS/Diff/46FC3BE6
Fingerprint=B22F 7D67 92B7 5D52 72D7  E94A EE69 2D21 46FC 3BE6