[Q] Does anyone have a radix searchtrieSmalltalkimplementation?

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Aug 1 13:49:23 UTC 2000

>Thanks, Mark.  I'll dig into it.  Perhaps there will be something about
>unification.  I've never heard of that term before.

I'll attempt a definition: Unification is the process of mapping two
forms (e.g., equations) onto one another such that variables (in the
form) are set to appropriate values and constraints are maintained.
The process may involve backtracking, and can also end in failure (if
no match is possible).

I did some web-hunting and this page seems like a reasonable intro to
unification:

http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/arthur/unif.html

I first learned about it reading Patrick Winston's first book on Lisp
-- I remember typing in the code and poking at it forever trying to
figure out how it was working.  I think that the best description of
the algorithm, though, is in Brian Harvey's "Computer Science Logo
Style" series (Volume 3, I think).  (In general, next to "Structure
and Interpretation of Computer Programs," Harvey's books are my
favorite CS texts.)

Mark

Associate Professor - Learning Sciences & Technologies.
Collaborative Software Lab - http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/csl/
(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu