got updates, want to use them - Chapter 1

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Wed Aug 16 16:07:46 UTC 2000

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000 17:54:53 +0200 (CEST) Bert Freudenberg <bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:
>What would be the best way to exchange badges?

That's easy: just drop your badge on the other guy's badge. ;-) Or put it in a project that you publish on a server the other guy can connect to.

>Karl wrote:
>> One question: I only have a dynamic IP address, what should put as IP
>> then?
>
>Your current one ... (NetNameResolver localAddressString)

Note: the current implementation is peer-to-peer only and will be defeated by some firewalls, virtual ip addresses and other restrictive net practices. A future implementation will be to allow connection through a server (http or some other innocuous protocol) so that you can participate even in the face of such obstacles.

I also think that as you get to explore the features now entering the update stream, you may well start thinking about how to get higher bandwidth and a static address.

Cheers,
Bob