IPC and SRP...

Göran Hultgren gohu at rocketmail.com
Mon Aug 28 08:32:10 UTC 2000

Hi!

--- "Ted K." <Ted.Kaehler at disney.com> wrote:
> >I don't know the performance measures of either SRP or SmartRefStream.
> >Segments use SmartRefStreams and are really a file-based module delivery
> >mechanism.
>
> Just to be clear, in an external Segment, 90% or more of the objects are in
> the segment itself.  That format is like a snapshot -- raw objects with
> pointers.  It is very compact.  The pointers are of two types, local within
> the segment, and outpointing.  Each out pointer is either an object, or a
> resource descriptor that gets hooked up on the other end.
> 	The segment is wrapped in a SmartRefStream.  Only the outpointer
> objects are stored in SmartRefStream format.  They tend to be a few percent
> of the objects, and to be simple.  So, most of a segment is not like a
> SmartRefStream.

Ah, as I suspected it was not just a ReferenceStream!

Are we then correct in assuming that this format should be quite fast for transferring object
structures between processes? Or is it "overkill" for small objects, perhaps because of overhead
or something?

BTW, silly problem: I tried to do some comparing between SRP and a normal ReferenceStream (in RAM)
yesterday but it seems like RWBinaryOrTextStream behaves funny when opened on an in-RAM object. I
just fiddled around but never managed to read something from it. It seems like it is always, in
the image, used for reading from files.

regards, Göran

=====
Göran Hultgren, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
icq#:6136722, GSM: +46 709 472152, http://www.bluefish.se
"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you.
Then they fight you. Then you win." -- Gandhi