Newbie technical/cultural question

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Aug 1 21:26:30 UTC 2000

On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 03:08:06PM +0200, Roel Wuyts wrote:

> > 2) Little Languages
> >
> >>The second part of my question is "What's the ST way of dealing with
> >>little languages. Do you just build editors/inspectors instead?"
> >
> > I don't understand the question exactly. A utterance in a "little language"
> > in this context is a sequence of characters. The lexer/parser builds a tree
> > of objects.
> > With the inspectors you can look at any node of the tree and ask
> > the object to do something. Very convenient when developing.
>
> I was wondering about the question too. First of all, I do not know what you
> mean by 'little language'. Do you mean that it is not very different of
> Smalltalk's synta ? Do you mean it is something *very* simple ? Second, 'Do
> you just build editors/inspectors instead', I was wondering: 'instead of
> what' ?

I'll add one thing to this, just because it's so obvious that it might
be overlooked: Smalltalk is itself a perfectly serviceable "little language"
in many cases. If you have a few carefully named classes and methods,
that might be all that is required.

If you need something fancier, and are familiar with lex/yacc, then
T-gen is what you're looking for.