"official" VMs

Douglas Brebner douglas+list at fang.demon.co.uk
Sat Aug 19 10:53:50 UTC 2000

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, Ian Piumarta wrote:

> Well, this kind of ignores an important source of headaches.  Squeak
> is trying to use .so files in cruel and unusual ways that many Unix
> designers never dreamed of (even in their worst nightmares).  On some
> platforms (including at least one of the supported ones, I might add)
> it is *impossible* for the loader to figure out the dynamic
> dependencies for the VM unless the plugins are (i) installed in a
> standard place that ld.so knows about; (ii) prefixed with "lib", and
> (iii) suffixed by ".so.<maj>.<min>".  This makes the build kind of
> tricky, since a partial install is absolutely required at "half-time".

On ELF platforms, can't you use -Wl,-R/path/to/plugins to embed the library
search path into the executable itself?

On a related point, why doesn't the unix build add the X library path this
way? Leaving this out makes the VM fail to work on ELF platforms which
don't use ldconfig/ld.so.conf
(see http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/elf.html for why not to use
ldconfig/ld.so.conf)

--