Classes and projects

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Fri Dec 22 17:03:58 UTC 2000

On Fri, 22 Dec 2000 15:43:54 +0100 Karl Ramberg <karl.ramberg at chello.se> wrote:
>I made a tiny class and saved it as a project
>to Bobs Super Swiki. That worked ok but
>when I try to load it it asks me what modern
>class the class I createt should translate to.
>How do I make projects with includes class
>changes etc ?

Hi Karl,

This is an area that has not gotten as much attention as it deserves. I have just put together an experiment that seems to work and I welcome all to try it and see if it satisfies the needs in this area.

On Bobs SuperSwiki, there is a project "btest" that contains:

- An inspector on an instance of a class not defined in a normal image (BobTest).
- A workspace containing the code needed to allow you to publish such projects.

Things to verify (they work for me, but perhaps I have overlooked something):

- Does the project load without error?
- Does the inspector show you the three instance variables?
- If you follow the instructions in the change set in the workspace (reprinted below), are you able to publish such projects?

Cheers,
Bob

--- from the preamble to the change set ---
An EXPERIMENTAL change set that offers the option of also filing out the project change set when publishing a project. Selecting this option will permit a project that contains classes not defined in a normal image to be read in successfully.

Steps to publish such a project:

- File in this change set. It is experimental, so you may not want to save the image.
- Go to the project you intend to publish.
- Verify that the project change set contains any code required by the project which is not in the standard image.
- Publish the project.
- You will be asked if you want to include the changes in the change set. Answer 'Yes'