Unix squeak under Unix VNCserver connected to Mac VNC client

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Tue Dec 26 17:31:43 UTC 2000

On Tuesday 26 December 2000 08:17, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> So, the VNCclient I used mapped option to middle button, and command
> to right button.  I managed to launch squeak, but then any use of
> middle button iconified my squeak window! (I think that was twm
> interfering.)  But I figured out that shift-middle button could at
> least get me to some of the menus, and wasn't being intercepted.

What happens if you use a mouse with a sufficient number of buttons?
Seems like if you didn't have to fake the middle and right buttons, the
keystrokes could go right through. Or can't a Mac handle 3 button mice
(I know they can be used via USB, electrically)?

> But then it got harder.  I'm used to typing Command-B for browse and
> Command-Z for undo on my mac Squeak.  But obviously on Unix (even
> virtually under the server), there's no "command" key, so what are the
> equivalent keystrokes under Unix, and how can I type these through?
> And how could I have known this without asking y'all? :)

Under Unix, these are Alt-B and Alt-Z. Look at "help/command key help"
in Squeak.

What if you don't bother with one of the mouse buttons, and map Option
or Command to Alt instead?

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA