Advice on squeaklets needed

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Sat Dec 23 21:17:22 UTC 2000

On Fri, 22 Dec 2000, Karl Ramberg wrote:

> With 2.9 progressing and lots of stuff happening to projects etc
> I think a merge between squeaklets (sts) and projects (pr) would be
> nice.
> Or is it stuff the sts files does that pr can't ?

You're basically right in saying "a Squeaklet is a Project". The business
with sts-files is that these are tiny loader snippets that load the actual
content. You gain flexibility by this, and also speed: projects tend do be
largish in file size, compared to a few hundred bytes loader snippet. You
can, for example, pop up a little notifier while downloading the file.

However, we might consider extending the startup logic to automatically
jump to the project when an image segment containing such is loaded. That
would allow making Squeaklets without a sts-loader file. Do we want to
have a new MIME-type "application/x-squeak-project" then?

-- Bert