String literal at:put: question

Avi Schwartz avi at CFFtechnologies.com
Mon Dec 25 07:34:58 UTC 2000

Hi,

I am new to Smalltalk and Squeak, so please bear with me...

I am trying to figure out why the result of

'abcdef' at: 1 put: $x

is $x and not 'xbcdef'.

I assume that the Squeak result correct since VisualWorks returns the
same.  But the question is why?

Now, to complicate matters even worse for me, according to the book
'Smalltalk, Objects, and Design' by Chamond Liu, the result I should
expect is an exception since a string literal is immutable.

I'd appreciate an explanation or a pointer to one

Thanks,
Avi
--
Avi Schwartz               Get a Life
avi at CFFtechnologies.com       Get Linux