PDA Squeak, questions...

Toshi Fujita herr at hi-ho.ne.jp
Tue Dec 5 03:49:35 UTC 2000

Hi all,

I am not sure that I really got his points though, 'cos my English
capability...

For small unix system, there is a graphic library called MGL
(MobileGear Graphics Library). It runs on NetBSD/hpcmips, LinuxVR
FreeBSD for MobileGear(but this machine is Japanese specific and we
usually call it 'PocketBSD'), psion5, svgalib and etc...

further detail of MGL is at:
	http://at.sakura.ne.jp/~suz/MGL2/index.html
but in Japanese.

The creator of MGL, Mr. Suzuki, gave me the rough changed source of
sqWindows.* of unix port at http://wwww-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak/.
So I ported it can run on MGL. We usually call it squeakMgl.

MGL also can run on X for debug purpose.

And more, if you are using 2-byte character code like us. I added feature
that surpport 'Canna' (Input Method).
But in this case, you have to install Multilingual set, which
Mr. Ohshima, Mr. Abe and Mr. Sumi made.

http://www.is.titech.ac.jp/~ohshima/squeak/squeak-multilingual-e.html

Acutally, I only use MobileGear II (which is WindowCE, handheld) and
installed NetBSD/hpcmips. And compiled MGL and squeakMgl and runs fine
except Morphics.

I'd like hear about how it run on other MGL-surpported machine and
Input Method of other language except Japanese...

Kevin Fisher write:
>Hi!
>
>Well I gave in to the pre-xmas urge to spend (on myself :) and ordered an
>iPaq.  I plan on experimenting heavily with it (probably using one
>of the micro-Linux ports, and Squeak).
>
>My Question:
>
>As far as PDA's go, what kind of displays does Squeak currently run on?
>Has anyone tried it with nano-X?  Are there any ports (or plans to port)
>Squeak to embedded-Qt (no Xserver required)?
>(http://www.trolltech.com/company/announce/embeddeddl.html for details,
>http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt/embedded/qpe.html to see an
>application of Qt/E in action :)
>

>I guess somewhat related...is there a port of Squeak that runs on the
>raw display device (no Xwindows) under Linux (ie SVGAlib, GGI or fbdev)?
>
>Thanks.

Toshi Fujita
mailto:herr at hi-ho.ne.jp
http://www.hi-ho.ne.jp/herr