Unix squeak under Unix VNCserver connected to Mac VNC client

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Tue Dec 26 16:17:44 UTC 2000

So, I want to run a swiki on my ISP's box.  No big deal... I figured
out how to do it two weeks ago under Unix when I was sitting at the
desktop.  But now I'm remote, so I've got to run with a long neck
("head" in different place from "body" :).

I don't have much experience with VNCserver, but I figured out enough
to make it start in 32 bit mode.  Launches the default twm (with no
manpage installed locally, ugh).

And I don't have much experience with the two Mac VNCclients, except
that I've connected to the server a few times as a proof of concept,
and when I wanted to run this X thingy once. :)

So, the VNCclient I used mapped option to middle button, and command
to right button.  I managed to launch squeak, but then any use of
middle button iconified my squeak window! (I think that was twm
interfering.)  But I figured out that shift-middle button could at
least get me to some of the menus, and wasn't being intercepted.

I filed in the swiki-comanche filein, saying "yes, go ahead and patch
Process".  (I've done this on my mac, so I knew what to expect
locally.)

But then it got harder.  I'm used to typing Command-B for browse and
Command-Z for undo on my mac Squeak.  But obviously on Unix (even
virtually under the server), there's no "command" key, so what are the
equivalent keystrokes under Unix, and how can I type these through?
And how could I have known this without asking y'all? :)

And if anyone's already done this under VNC, can someone give me some
tips?  I'd be happy to summarize what I find out and put it on the
Squeak swiki.  (And they say I'm a pretty good writer, so it
should at least be spelled accurately. :)

It's too bad I can't just launch a nebraska server headless. :(