sqUnixMIDI [Re: No sound on Linux with Squeak2.8]

William DeMeo william.demeo at verizon.net
Sat Dec 9 01:14:10 UTC 2000

Thanks for the tip. I'm not really sure why /dev/dsp output works for me
with Squeak2.9, but it just might be because when I compiled that
version I didn't replace sqUnixSound.c with your version.  However, as
far as I can recall, I did try Squeak2.8 with all three sqUnixSound.c
files (ie the original and both of your files).

In summary (for anyone else interested) on my SuSE 6.4 system, using
ALSA sound drivers with OSS compatibility, sound works for me only
Squeak2.9.

...so now on to MIDI...
Now I'm trying to get Squeak to use the ALSA devices for midi so that I
can send midi data to my soundcard synth rather than using Squeak's
software synth and outputting to /dev/dsp.  Does anyone have any
experience with this?  It looks to me like there are stubs in place in
the file sqUnixMIDI.c, but all appear to be unimplemented.  Perhaps this
file is where I could implement some basic midi functionality.  I think
I would only need to make Squeak direct midi data to the interface to
/dev/midi, since this
interface is already handled by the ALSA drivers, and the ALSA API is
fairly well documented here:
http://www.alsa-project.org/api.html
Any comments about this would be greatly appreciated.
William.