Morphic

Peter Schuller peter.schuller at infidyne.com
Sat Dec 23 01:45:19 UTC 2000

Hello,

I realize I have just been asking questions since I joined this group.
Hopefully I will eventually be knowledgeable enough to constribute in the
form of *answering* some. But for now, I have yet another question:

Is there a tutorial/overview/howto for Morphic that covers more than the
extreme basics? I don't have a problem understanding the basics concepts,
but I am still suffering from being "lost" in the API. Probably because I'm
mostly coming from a Swing/Qt background and things are obviously done
quit differently in Morphic.

The only one I've found that actually introduces you to the API is John
Maloney's "Fun with the Morphic Graphics System" (referenced at
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/30), which is good at what
is does, but is limited in scope and seems to be geared towards those
that aren't familiar with even the Squeak browser yet.

I'm looking for something to accelerate the initial learning process; i.e.
point out how to do some common stuff so that I can a better "feel" for it.
Like creating windows, managing menus and component layouts.

Just now I was trying fooling around with menus and the SystemWindow. I was
not able to figoure out how to add menus to a SystemWindow (or if there is
even any special support for such actions). I'm sure I'll get it
straightened out after browsing the API some more, but hence my desire
for a hands-on tutorial just to get a feel for the most common things...

Thank you,

PGP userID: 0x5584BD98 or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com>'
Key retrival: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey at scode.infidyne.com
E-Mail: peter.schuller at infidyne.com Web: http://scode.infidyne.com