Squeak IDE Look-n-Feel Competition

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Tue Dec 19 16:24:36 UTC 2000

Hi Karl,

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000 16:44:27 +0100 Karl Ramberg <karl.ramberg at chello.se> wrote:
>I played around a little with Bobs SuperSwiki and it's amacing:-)
>This stuff is really cool, could you tell us a little more ?

It's an experiment in providing a bit of server support for project publishing. It is a swiki that can be accessed at

	http://209.143.91.36/super

and it supports a protocol for publishing and retrieving projects. Publishing a project using the 'Publish' button on the navigator strip also updates a swiki page (several in fact) that provide an overview when seen from a browser. Publishing a project can also store information such as author, description, etc (although this is a bit difficult to access at the moment). To search for a project, press the 'Find' button on the navigator strip and hold until the menu appears. Then select 'search the SuperSwiki'. You will get a purple window with spaces to fill in search criteria. Once you fill this in and hit OK, you will get a morph containing thumbnails of projects that matched. Clicking on one of these should load the project. (There is a bug in this morph related to recent alignment morph changes that I will fix today, but it shouldn't hinder its use).

The stuff that's out there is a jumble of various tests and may not all be usable in the current image. Some are essentially content-free, while others have various bits of flotsam and jetsam. Some things are categorized to aid in testing, but the categorizations are largely random (i.e. don't expect intelligent search results on what's there).

As an experiment, all are welcome to publish stuff here with the following understandings:
- nothing of a copyrighted/illegal nature is welcome
- it is an experiment and may be changed/discontinued without warning
- it is a notebook computer on a DSL line, so it won't be the fastest server you have ever seen
- very large uploads may fail
- etc, etc.

>And one buggish note, the project browser, (the on that pops up
>after pressing find on the project navigator morph) looks not
>so good in 8 bit screen depth.

It's the gradients used. Any way you can get up to 16-bits? :-)

Cheers,
Bob