Squeak IDE Look-n-Feel

Roel Wuyts rwuyts at vub.ac.be
Tue Dec 12 06:52:51 UTC 2000

I don't think Stephane means to use native widgets. He just advocates the
inclusion *in the standard release* of some other looks. As a 'blue look'
user for over half a year now, I agree. Note that this does not mean that I
want the 'multi-colored, default look' gone; ideally I would like a fresh
image to pop-up a dialog letting me choose some look, and indicating me that
I can laterchange this in the settings (or just pop open the settings).

The reason is very simple: almost all the people that I just pointed to
Squeak (without giving them a demo) backed away because of the user
interface ! When I do a demo (so they see the full potential) or give them
the blue look, they tend to be more 'playful' and explore the environment.

So, again, I advocate 1) to include some other look(s) in the base image
everybody can download and 2) some mechanism to easily switch beween looks
and 3) a pop-up box on the first run to choose the look.

--
Roel Wuyts                    Programming Technology Lab
rwuyts at vub.ac.be              Vrije Universiteit Brussel