Unix/Linux MIDI

William DeMeo william.demeo at verizon.net
Mon Dec 11 12:22:05 UTC 2000

Does anyone know the status of Unix MIDI interface support in Squeak?

I'm trying to get Squeak to use the ALSA rawmidi and/or sequencer
interfaces so that I can send midi data to my soundcard synth rather
than using Squeak's software synth and outputting to /dev/dsp.  Does
anyone have any experience with this?

It looks to me like there are stubs in place in the file sqUnixMIDI.c,
but all appear to be unimplemented.  Perhaps this file is where I could
implement some basic midi functionality.  I think I would only need to
make Squeak direct midi data to the interface /dev/midi or
/dev/sequencer, since these are already handled by the ALSA drivers, and
the ALSA API is fairly well documented here:
http://www.alsa-project.org/api.html

Any comments about this would be _greatly_ appreciated.

Thanks! William DeMeo