[PROPOSAL] Generic device-dependent events

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Dec 2 16:00:32 UTC 2000

On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 02:19:09PM +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> I play with the idea of introducing generic, device-dependent extension
> events (inspired by the X Input Extension - see
> http://capderec.udg.es:81/ebt-bin/nph-dweb/dynaweb/SGI_Developer/X11_LibSpc):

    <snip>

> How does that sound?
>
> -- Bert

This sounds great to me. I would also like to suggest:

- Input events can be (and should be) generalized to represent any
external event, most notably file and socket events. Tk/tcl provides
a good example of how this is done (at least in concept; I have not
really looked at the implementation). This is important because it
would enable some nice simplification and clean-up of the Socket and
FileStream hierarchies.

- Why not move more of this into the image instead of coding it in
the VM? It would be a lot easier to adjust the design that way, and
I don't think we've completely sorted out all the design issues yet.
For example, hard-coding the representation of events to a certain
number of bytes in the VM seems rather short-sighted. If performance
is a problem (I doubt it), things can always be moved back out to
the VM later on.

Dave