Cincom Open Sources 'Frost'

Alan Knight knight at acm.org
Sat Dec 16 19:59:04 UTC 2000

To my (admittedly biased by what I work on) mind there are two big things I
think we could get out of Frost relatively easily, and neither of them
requires dealing with the messy GUI stuff.

First, JDBC drivers. Squeak, and Smalltalk in general, could instantly gain
drivers for all major databases, many of them using socket connections
directly. In some cases it would be impossible to write that code directly
in Smalltalk because the database vendors don't publish the protocol, but
it's embedded in the driver.

Second, JSP. While the basic syntax of JSPs is quite simple, authors have
the ability to embed fairly arbitrary Java code into the pages, so it's not
easy to write a Smalltalk system that can run existing JSPs that include
code. While the code is arbitrary, it's usually not all that complicated,
consisting of calls to domain objects and to databases plus maybe some RMI.
Using Frost this wouldn't require a whole lot of primitives.

Obviously there are a lot more things we could do, but these seem like two
that are relatively easy pickings.

--
Alan Knight [|], Cincom Systems
knight at acm.org