source code mgmt (was: RE: [ENH] String>>browseUrl)

Norton, Chris chrisn at Kronos.com
Thu Dec 7 22:07:34 UTC 2000

Hi Richard.

Caveat:  first allow me to reiterate that my example code was trivial and
not necessarily a good thing to add to String.  :-)

OK, now that you all understand I'm talking hypothetically, I'm not so sure
that we should remove all such references from String.  Picture this
possibility.  Let's say that you highlight a string, that just happens to be
an URL, and right mouse click over it, getting a menu with
cut/copy/paste/...etc...  Wouldn't it be super cool if this menu also
included other possibilities like "browse with Scamper", "edit as
hyperlink", "open file named", etc.  The possibilities are endless.  Maybe
you'd like to morph that String into some other object, like a text entry
field that is pre-filled with the String.  The context of the String menu
may have to be sensitive to your environment, but I think it would be
interesting to allow for other possibilities.  Cut/Copy/Paste just doesn't
satisfy all of my exotic needs.  <grin>

The fact is, Strings can represent all kinds of interesting things.
Wouldn't it be neat if you could control them in Squeak as easily as you can
control them in... (self prepareForFlame) Microsoft Word?

Cheers,

---==> Chris