Squeak (ST80) syntax

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Wed Feb 16 16:49:41 UTC 2000

Leandro -

>What I'm trying to say is that we could consider two levels
>of flexibility: one harder, and one softer. While writing a
>method I want to express myself with a precise syntax. A
>method's code is its definition, and in definitions,
>implicit forms should be disallowed. But, when talking to
>live objects I'd like to benefit from more flexibility. It's
>like in math: strong formalism while defining, and relaxed
>notation to achieve more expressiveness while speaking.
>Implicit self could be a good example of that. And, of
>course, the permissive syntax should be optional. For
>instance in MorphicWrappers you are allowed to write with or
>without a leading 'self'. There aren't different rules but
>different levels of implicitation, and you choose the one
>you need.

Well, I agree that other approaches may be useful for novices.  One could even start people off with a sort of ObjectBasic at the surface.  It gets into an area that is really more marketing than mathematics, and I think I'm not qualified.  For instance I hear people who have real experience teaching Smalltalk say that things went easily after people got used to colons, but others who say they wouldn't even try to learn it because of the colons.  In that kind of situation, I think it's really up to focus groups and deliberate attempts to give people what they are used to.

>PS: But Dan! Why arguing instead of trying!? Install the
>MW28a in your image and play with them for a couple of
>hours! Of course, you should take care, they are addictive

Leandro, I have been playing with MW off and on since you started.  I like your approach, as I have always preferred to introduce newbies by simple expressions and concrete results.

I have yet to get "addicted" to MW.  Part of the problem is that I have not had a tutorial example of, say building up a little class with a few methods from scratch.  Is there one to which you can refer me?

I should try out MW28a, especially if it is now easy to have MW features be turned on in some projects and not in others.  However, this morning I tried the link, from your message,
	http://mathMorphs.swiki.net/.uploads/MW28a.3.zip
and got,
	"An internal server error has occurred."

Interestingly, if I go to your MathMorphs page and click on the link there, it works.
Ahah -- the link SHOULD be,
	http://mathMorphs.swiki.net/.uploads/MW28.3.zip

I'll check it out.

	- Dan