Common Internet File System?

Jarvis, Robert P. (Contingent) Jarvisb at timken.com
Tue Feb 15 13:24:01 UTC 2000

After looking at the web page you cited I'm left with a feeling that CIFS is
just the same old wolf under a new sheepskin.  File access across the net is
all very well and good if all you want to do is access files.  I don't
think, however, that file access is all that interesting (to me, at least)
in a Squeak/Smalltalk context.  I think Eric's ideas about image
coordination are more interesting.  I also think that a netcentric object
"space" or, if you will, a "virtual image" is yet more interesting.  (I
believe Self had something like this).

Bob Jarvis
Compuware @ Timken