Chording Keyboards vs Dvorak or Querty

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Thu Feb 24 16:31:29 UTC 2000

David N. Smith wrote:
> So, go figure! Inventors love to invent the things, and users never quite
> get around to using them.

How true! I, as an inventor, am guilty of creating stuff that I, as a user,
don't use  ;-)  So how can I complain about other people?

> BTW, does anyone know of any others?
>
>  Uh, we talked at one point of just using a regular keyboard and
> intercepting it at a very low level where we could catch each key go down or
> up. Pick five keys, say Space-J-I-O-; (semicolon key) that fit nicely to ones
> hand and do an Englebart-like chord keyboard. I don't think it's impossible to
> do a chord keyboard on a regular keyboard.

You can try out a Java simulation of a scheme I came up with if you go to

    http://www.lsi.usp.br/~jecel/merlin4.7/

The "features" page includes the simulation, while the "chords" page explains
how to use it (very awkward, I know...). It needs four keys, which are 1,2,3
and 4 for left handed people and 0, 9, 8 and 7 for right handed people.

I started to write this in Squeak, but got bitten by the "no keyUp events"
problems and so had to move to Java instead.

-- Jecel