How to determine screen depth?

Russell Allen russell.allen at firebirdmedia.com
Tue Feb 29 06:09:15 UTC 2000

Hi all,

When I open an image with a display depth of 16 on a mac with a screen set
to 256 colours, everything on the screen goes a ugly shade of green until I
change the display depth of the image to 8.

However this isn't all that good when sending images to people who are not
used to Squeak - ie shrinkwrapped images.

Is there some way to determine the current display depth of the host
platform, so that my image can change itself to match automatically?

Also, is there some way to change the host display depth/screen size?  (ie
for a multimedia presentation which requires 640 at 480)

Or will I need to roll my own plugin?

Thanks,

Russell

Russell Allen